Graphic Fridays: What you know about parenting

Jan 24 2014 Published by under [Life Trajectories]

Parenting

• mtomasson says:

I see where you are going... As a parent of three though, I think the red "amount you think you know" line goes way up after one kid...only a little up after 2 kids and then crashes down at three. My experience is that after one kid, Lord, I thought I knew it all. Anyone want parenting advice? I'm the guy. Second kid I thought I was the worlds greatest parent, but wow..harder than it looks. Maybe check with someone else too about parenting advice. After third, I was like, HMoG make it stop, life is a vast wasteland of uncontrollable chaos. Want advice on parenting? Good luck with that.

• whizbang says:

Our first child was a well-behaved, obedient kid. We thought we had it figured out.
    Number two was much more cantankerous; we went from "Why can't those people control their child?" to being those parents.
    Number 3 ain't happening, no way, no how.

Agree that it took #2 to break us of any thoughts we entertained WRT out parenting knowledge. Perhaps the red line doesn't quite reach the peak it should with one kid. I'm only guessing what one would feel with three kids, because I will never know.

• Jmcin9 says:

Never got in a grove with kid1, kid2 came so close behind that we just tried to get by. Kid3 came a couple years later, and was a easy child (and our inherent hippie, so laid back it makes parenting a breeze). Kid4 through a monkey wrench in everything and came out a boy, and is so different then his sisters it's at times like starting all over again. I don't know if I know lots or not at this point, just that I think I have a grasp on my kids. That probably changes next year when kid1 starts high school

• DJMH says:

" life is a vast wasteland of uncontrollable chaos. "

This.

• anonymous says:

I love the sentiment but am slightly disturbed by the line graph representation (what's in between 1 and 2 kids? maybe one kid + a dog?).

Agreed, that since kid #2 arrived I generally feel that I know nothing.

All pie charts next time.

• Mark P says:

My graph would look different--it dropped like a stone with kid 1 (reality was a lot harder than it seemed from the outside), went up at kid 2 and then we decided we did not need any additional adventures.