Reader Poll: twitter on your CV?

Just a quick question about social media and jobs.

Would you include your twitter handle on a CV for a tenure track job? Why or why not

Discuss.

• Dr Wrasse says:

I do include my (public) twitter handle on my CV and am trying to publish with it, although the latter has been unsuccessful.

I use twitter a lot while teaching and I think it's a great way to get my research out. I really doubt if anyone reading my CV would log on and view my feed, but I like to show that I am engaging students and researchers in multiple ways

I really doubt if anyone reading my CV would log on and view my feed

On this you would be wrong.

• zy says:

For me, no. Seems too polarized. I recently asked someone if he'd contribute to an article I was writing for a blog. He said, in essence, that any time he comes across a nice blog he looks at the author and assumes they're a crappy scientists because they spend too much time on other stuff. Yeah... so, you don't want to contribute to my article then?

• Bashir says:

Me obviously no because I'm currently rocking the pseud. I've thought about establishing a real name blog/twitter. Maybe, if so I might but something like a lab blog on the CV under service/communication.

• Scicurious says:

No. I figure those who are in the know (and use the link to the blog, which is on the CV), will find and read it. For those not in the know, I've found it's more likely to be a detriment.

• DrugMonkey says:

What would be the reason to do so? Would you include self-published works?

From what people on Twitter were saying, it is an indication of influence. I suppose if you have a lot of followers, the committee would think you very insightful. As if that matters. I honestly see the downside to be a lot bigger than the upside.

• DrugMonkey says:

Ppl on scientific social media are often so caught up in the self-reinforcement cycle that they vastly overestimate real "influence". They don't often take, for example, the number of Twitts at a meeting like SfN and divide by the 30,000 people attending. It remains a curiosity at present.

As far as what the future brings? Unclear to me. Still.

I just don't see a hiring committee caring at all, EXCEPT, if you tweet something that anyone finds objectionable. Seems there is only a way to screw up and not to garner favor of any kind. Members might even view you as "less serious" for tweeting.

• Twitter handle on CV : Yes!

It shows you're technologically savvy & can effectively communicate your research online. Why wouldn't you? o_O

• Dr. Humbug says:

No way that I would include it. I chose a pseudonym for a reason (freedom of speech, it is). Even minor traces of politics, religion or even humor can massively undermine your position. You can't gain anything from including the twitter handle. Which committee member will think "Wow, we definitely need to hire a sarcastic anti-abortion atheist!"?

I'm betting the answer will revolve significantly on how people use their accounts. If it is a tool for communicating research and is used in teaching, then I might list it somewhere deep in the CV. If OTOH, there are personal interjections in the account, it might be safest to avoid listing it.

• AME Mason says:

For non Ttrack positions: 1) your name is going to be googled(def) 2) lack of presence on traditional social media -Facebook and/0r lab website- will be judged against you. 3) gotta ask yourself, "do I want to work for an institution or PI lacking in Twitter Fluency?

To each their own.

@drowningkittens

Let's not fool ourselves into thinking that any of this is going to sway a committee one way or another.

"Oh, they have three pubs but 3,048 twitter followers and 1238 FB friends? Maybe we should bring them in!" - nobody

• Confounding says:

No - my feeling is that Twitter will never "help" your case, and depending on that you've said, the potential exists for you to hurt your case.

I'd only divulge something like that if I was asked about social media.

• Ellen Simms says:

Only if your twitter feed was focused entirely on your research field and really added value, i.e. doing something more than simply forward other tweets.

Yous should be very careful, as I do think twitter can be a place where you might inadvertently trip yourself up by annoying/insulting someone without realizing it.

A blog, on the other hand, can be a real addition to a cv if it's thoughtful and, again, adds value to the field (e.g. links to new methods or evaluations of those methods) , to outreach about science, or has other valuable attributes. However, this is still a "frosting on the cake" sort of endeavor. It can't substitute for excellent, high-impact, reviewed papers.

• Phagenista says:

I use twitter for more than just work, and would never include my handle on a CV. I use protected tweets too -- I consume broadly, but only tweet things to a very small circle of real life friend accounts.

I don't think I use twitter as effectively as other scientists, but I can follow 20+ accounts of my funding agencies and related professional organizations.

• New R1 Asst Prof says:

Absolutely not. As other posters said, it really can only hurt you. Especially when you think of the composition of your normal search committee -- almost all distinguished/full profs who likely have never heard of twitter or do not understand it, with a token assistant prof (I've played this role!) on the committee who will have a relatively weak voice as they don't want to piss anyone off. If the committee does actually look at your tweets there are really three possibilities: 1) it does not sway their opinion of you either way, 2) they'll believe you are wasting your time or 3) they will find something they believe to be objectionable.

Is this a stupid mentality? yes. Is it reality? yes.

• Alex says:

I use Twitter for fun, mostly, so, no, I wouldn't put it on my CV.

I occasionally do a bit of blogging under my full name for professional organizations. That gets listed under "Professional Service", which is after education, employment, publications, grants, and invited talks (i.e. pretty low on the list).

• Psycgirl says:

Definitely. Not. Because like Bashir I am also rocking a pseudonym, but also because in my field I'm 90% sure that would result in my application being taken much less seriously.

• becca says:

No, of course not, given my snarkery. I mean, it's not libel or anything likely to get anyone sued, so I'm not terrified of anyone finding me on twitter. But there's too many RTs of adorable animal pics for it to work in my favor.

That said if I were thinking about joining a lab and the prof listed it on their website, I'd consider that a huge pro (even if it was only adorable animal RTs. Maybe especially then).

• Twitter "influence" is fucken delusional. If anyone put this kind of nonsense on their CV--akin to "I pitched a no-hitter in my renasissance faire softball t-ball league"--it would make me seriously question their perception of reality.

• DrugMonkey says:

But what about their Klout score PP? You'd put that on, right?

• Mike Taylor says:

Of course I'd include my Twitter handle. It's information. I'm a scientist. Scientists like information.

• Olde fuckes like me control shitte that twittering young fucke imbeciles want access to. I am a scientist and I do like information, and if you inform me that you are a twittering dumshitte by putting your twittering handle on your CV, it will reflect poorly on your judgment and perception of reality.

• becca says:

You know, CPP, repressing your emotions like that can't be healthy. Let it out. Just let it out.

• Anon says:

Really, AME Mason, you think people who don't have Facebook or twitter accounts are dinged for that? When hiring, I google names and not yet have I come across a Facebook account that made me want to hire that person. It's more likely to do harm than good, in my opinion.

• geranium says:

Maybe the strategic thing to do instead would be to do some digging at every place you're applying and make sure you're following (and engaging if possible - I don't fully understand how Twitter works) any faculty in the department. If there are any.

I think it would be creepy if I a job candidate followed me and tried to engage right before their interview. How about just doing what everyone expects and show up and interview well?

• How about just doing what everyone expects and show up and interview well?

Yeah. And how about keeping your bizarre and pointless personal hobbies that make you seem like an immature jaggeoffe off your motherfucken CV, too?

One could fuck up the views of the committee more number of ways than to make a positive impression.

It takes only one tweet to fuck you up !

• Alex says:

OTOH, if you only used a Twitter account for science outreach and related professional activities, and you were applying for a job where outreach or related activities were a substantial portion of the responsibilities, listing the Twitter handle would be quite appropriate.