Donate to DonorsChoose or the pigeon will come to your house.

Oct 01 2011 Published by under [Et Al]

Tomorrow (or today, depending on when you read this), October 2nd, kicks off the ScienceBlogs DonorsChoose.org campaign, which will run until Oct 22. This is an annual even that benefits school kids all over the country. If you are unfamiliar with DonorsChoose, you should check them out now (then donate on my page).

In honor of kicking off the event, I'm going to shamelessly "borrow" from my daughter's favoarite book, Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus. I'm hoping that if I convince you of the awesomeness of this book, the publisher will look the other way when it comes to the following, blatant, copyright infringement. So, yeah, the book is awesome and you should buy a copy now (I hope that's enough....).

Now where was I? Oh right, Don't let the Pigeon Drive the Bus is an award winning kids book about, well, telling a pigeon it can't drive a bus. The pigeon tries hard to convince you, but he may have better luck convincing you to donate to school kids from the poorest regions of our country. There will be a donation link to the right soon and I think my readers can kick the Everyone Poops out of the other pages that will be pleading for your money. And if we don't I'm unleashing the pigeon.

Alright, maybe I got carried away, but you get the point. I've chosen a number of science-related projects from all over the country for you to donate to. A lot of these classrooms need supplies to help educate the scientists of tomorrow and this is one way you can directly affect students, maybe even in your home state. Go check it out!!!

• Lab Rockstar says:

Wow. Brilliant. File this under "things I wish I had thought of".

Using a cartoon pigeon to threaten people into donating for charity?

• Lab Rockstar says:

Yes. It's perfect.

• delurker says:

I agree- brilliant use of pigeon! (one of my son's fav books too). Love your blog btw. Ok, back to lurking now...

• namnezia says:

Hey, have you checked out Elephant and Piggy? Same author but even funnier.

• MZ says:

Just wanted to let you know that my lab is going to do a lab donation, inspired by you and the other Scientopia bloggers. I'm leaving a jar in the lab, and anyone, both grad students and undergrad assistants, can put in any amount, and then I will match whatever we get. I think we're going to choose an insect-related project because of our research, but even though it's not under your name I thought you might enjoy hearing about it.

• Erica says:

If you are still looking for a worthwhile project to donate to, please take a look at our project: http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/proposal.html?id=626705

We are looking to get a document reader in our chemistry class! The school has a 1.6% proficiency for math, 12.4% for english. 77% of the student body is on free or reduced-price lunch. This year, we're looking to turn things around by making the learning more visual for abstract topics found in chem! We really appreciate your donations and thank you! 🙂

• [...] Oct - Tomorrow (or today, depending on when you read this), October 2nd, kicks off the ScienceBlogs DonorsChoose.org campaign, which will run until Oct 22. [...]