A disturbance in the force

Jan 12 2011 Published by under [Et Al]

The final proposal of the three proposal marathon went in today. I leave for Europe tomorrow on a red eye that will ensure I'll be up for nearly 28 hours over the next twoish days. Within 2 hours of hitting the button to submit my proposal today I had the following hit my inbox:

A request to be on a panel in Feb for a federal agency.
A reminder of my participation in an oral qualifying exam shortly after I get back from my trip.
A request to be on an additional oral exam.
A reminder to order lab supplies for one of my two classes starting just after I return.
A request to join the core writing group of a large-scale manuscript that will take a few months to write.
A manuscript review request.

I only wish I were kidding about the timing. Was there some kind of notification that went out declaring my time to be fair game again? Because I'm pretty sure I was booked solid through Feb before this flood of emails came in. Maybe if I leave the country they won't be able to find me.

• Dude they'll use Interpol to track you down. Best of luck on the proposals man. Are the wife and WeeOne able to go to Europe with you?

• Odyssey says:

You can't escape. They use university alumni offices to track you down. Far more effective than any law enforcement agency or even the CIA.

We don't often do this, for a bunch of reasons, but mainly because my wife's job and the fact that if we're going to go on a trip it is better to separate work from play rather than attempt some butchered hybrid. It's bad enough that my wife has to deal with the Wee One all by herself at home, but doing it in a foreign country while I work is probably not the vacation she is looking for. Maybe in a few years, but traveling with a three year old is less fun that you might think.

Noooooooooooooooooooo

• Dr. O says:

I'm passing up a meeting this year at a fabulous overseas locale for this reason. I'm wondering when Monkey will be at the age that we could take him on these kinds of trips.

About 18 years.

• Heavy says:

Here are my suggested responses:

Yes, but only because you have committed
    Yes, but get help from someone in your lab
    Yes, definitely
    No, unless it is from PiT

I agree, hybrid vacations suck. Neither side gets the attention it deserves.

• Hermitage says:

You made the mistake of sighing in relief and fist pumping once you hit the submit button, didn't you?

Damnit, rookie move.

• Well, congrats on getting the proposals in.

• [...] shoots attorneys - three to NSF in January and one at the Feb deadline to NIH. During that time I spent a week in Europe with collaborators, took on new teaching responsibilities and did more [...]