What are you looking forward to this semester?

Sep 05 2013 Published by under [Education&Careers]

The new semester has begun. I'll be the first to admit that the transition from summer to semester is not entirely smooth. As a group, I think this gives the professoriat ample material to complain about, whether it's the increase of meetings, teaching, or traffic. We're good at complaining, it's kind of a thing.

BUT, I'm more interested today in what you're looking forward to in the upcoming semester. What's got you excited for the coming months?

For me, I enjoy the class I teach in the fall and I look forward to that. I'm also excited to see how the people in my lab develop their skill sets as we transition into a slightly different phase of their learning. There's new challenges ahead and it'll be awesome to watch these challenges met.

Finally, I'm excited by a few new collaborations that are developing. I see fertile ground for some new work and the planning stages for a few grants has already begun.

How about you?

• DrugMonkey says:

thinking...thinking....don't RUSH me....

• David says:

I'm looking forward to seeing another two of my graduate students finish their dissertation data collection and begin the transition to the next stage of their careers.

• Chris says:

What an interesting question, one I had not considered previously.

I am looking forward to serving on a couple of grant review panels this semester. I really do enjoy getting together with other scientists and thinking about nothing but science for a few days. I've already completed all of the reviews for my NIH panel, which makes it easier to look forward to. And this will be my first NSF panel, so it should be a good learning experience.

This is my first semester post-tenure, so I'm also enjoying the sense of freedom that comes with this.

• FSGrad says:

Teaching! I'm teaching an exciting course this semester to a bunch of excited students with a wonderful TA, and I hope this will be a needed shot in the arm.

I'm also excited about a collaboration with a student colleague of mine. The best kind of thing -- we picked it up on the side of both our dissertations, our expertises are necessarily complimentary, and we're getting really great results so far.

• bashir says:

Hopefully getting hired.

• pyrope says:

Mid stream sabbatical semester - yippee!!

• Jen says:

Teaching - I get to start the year with one of my favorite courses. I missed the hustle and bustle of campus over summer - while my undergraduate research students were fun to work with, and quite productive, it was sometimes too quiet around here. I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things.

• katiesci says:

I think I'm most excited about the same thing a lot of advanced grad students are: DATA! Fun experiments this semester and maybe a trip to another lab for a collaboration.

• Dr. Noncoding Arenay says:

As a postdoc I look forward to demolishing the "wall" that's come up in my current project (for which I have some promising leads) and get my two manuscripts under review published.

• Dr Becca says:

I have 3 pretty big speaking engagements this semester - one at a gigantic society meeting, and two at some pretty fancy MRUs. I'm super excited about all that goes along with these kinds of things - crafting a story with our new data, networking, and hopefully building a better reputation for my lab.

And judging by today's lecture, I'm pretty excited for my class this semester. The students seemed much more alert and engaged (perhaps because we now meet at 10:30 instead of 9:15), and had lots of great thoughts and comments. It's my 3rd time teaching it, so I finally feel on top of things enough to know what I can fix to make it even better.

• NatC says:

I'm excited for new peeps starting in the lab!
    Also terrified, but mostly excited.

• Psycgirl says:

Finally got my PBL activities finalized for the grad class I teach and I am super psyched to try them!