Reader Poll: what's that junk in your trunk?

May 22 2013 Published by under [Et Al]

I'm guessing you can tell a lot about someone by what inhabits the back of their car. At the moment I have the following in my trunk:

2 pairs of rubber boots
1 pair of gloves
2 towels
4 reusable grocery bags that haven't seen the inside of a store in some time
makeshift first aid kit
child's hoodie
emergency diaper and change of clothes for a toddler
small shovel

I'm guessing that others might have a similarly mixed bag of goodies. What objects do you drive around town?

• Zen Faulkes says:

Shovel, bucket, portable aerator, surf boots, and a lot of stray sand.

• Bashir says:

Child's car seat base, jumper cables, ice scraper, and a leak. So everything is a little moist.

Bashir, the recommended spot for a car seat is in the backseat, not the trunk. Although maybe you're on to something....

• DrugMonkey says:

Why don't you use your grocery bags?

They do get used, just not necessarily at the grocery store. Usually we're juggling both kids and only think of the bags when we're loading the groceries into the car.

• fusilier says:

Up until an hour ago, there was a 10-pound possum inside a hav-a-heart trap. (I drove Mr./Ms. Marsupial to a park a couple of interstates away.) An Ikea bag for groceries, some desk-copies of textbooks that I really should return to the publishers, jumper-cables, and two or three railroad flares for emergencies.

I should point out that Daughters #1 and #2 are in their very early 30s, so diaper-bags and car-seats are behind us.

OTOH, there was the time that somebody grabbed a nice-looking grocery bag from the covered bed of our pick-up. I kinda hope that whoever took it opened it outside. Used Pampers....

fusilier

James 2:24

• eeke says:

A plastic milk carton containing washer fluid, jumper cables, and I think a newspaper dating back to 2003.

• MCA says:

The entire back half of my SUV (and the only reason I own such a vehicle) contains blankets, dog beds, and anywhere from one to three greyhounds, depending on whether we're fostering and/or dog-sitting.

Plus some paper towels, poop bags, and stain remover, for the obvious reason.

• Damn stroller takes up basically the whole trunk. Anything else has to fit in around it.

• Mike says:

Snow shovel
    Ice scraper
    Empty oil bottle to remind me what kind of oil my car has in it
    Funnel
    Jumper cables
    Some sort of emergency tire patch kit that I don't know how to use
    Flashlight
    2 grocery bags
    Bag of pretzels

• Sxydocma1 says:

In the wheel well, where spare tire sits, of our ancient subaru station wagon rides the collar of our beloved dog. He loved riding back there. I just couldn't bear to part with his collar after his death and still can't. It's been riding back there for five years now.

• FSGrad says:

2 pairs of hip waders, 1 pair rubber gloves, a towel, some collecting jars, old sandals, a baseball cap, a knit cap, a knit headband, 1 pair of knit gloves, an old button-down denim shirt, some ice packs, and (like Zen), more sand than is normal for a car.

And it isn't peak field season yet -- this is the year-round collection.

• katiesci says:

I'll play. Currently have:

Box of cat litter
    Big bag of cat food
    (too lazy/tired to bring them inside last night)

Empty can of Squirt (no idea where it came from)
    Reusable grocery bag
    Jumper cables
    Bits of straw (I always buy a bale at the end of fall to cover my strawberries with and don't vacuum until summer)

• Mac says:

3 pairs of chest waders
    3 dipnets
    sweater and hat (just in case)
    cardboard laid down along the bottom to absorb the wetness
    more strands of algae than is normal for a car

• crystaldoc says:

For the record, how many years ago was your youngest child fully potty trained 🙂

Or maybe I'm the only one with spare diapers from way back when ...

• FitAcademic says:

Off the top of my head...
    Straps for the roof rack
    Binoculars
    Avalanche shovel
    Camp chair
    Running hat
    Canvas water bowl for the dog
    And a water bottle that's been rolling around driving me nuts

Crystaldoc, I actually have a toddler that is in diapers, but, full disclosure, the diaper is left over from when my older daughter needed it.

• Susan says:

License plates from two and one states ago
    climbing shoes