NSF full proposal notifications

Nov 30 2012 Published by under [Education&Careers]

There's a lot of people out there waiting to hear back from their POs about full proposals. Between email, the blog and twitter I have gotten a lot of people asking about notifications. Here's what I know so far:

I have been notified on my DEB proposal that it is in the gray zone of "fundable pending funds". I heard back a couple of weeks ago. This week a colleague of mine got a phone call about her IOS proposal. So... notifications are starting to go out but are very cluster-specific on timing. If you haven't heard back yet it is not time to panic.

Remember also, that the preproposal deadline has been pushed back to around the 20th of January, depending on your program. Be patient, you have a little extra time in January to polish up that already successful preproposal. Above all, don't ping your PO about the decision. It's not like they just haven't gotten around to letting you know, if they could they would have already done so. Be a little more patient and be happy you'll only need to tweak your preproposal if your news is not what you hope.

11 responses so far

  • a says:

    Which panel in DEB is your proposal in?

  • proflikesubstance says:

    The Panel of Awesome.

  • impatient zoologist says:

    Thanks for the update, and I hope that there will be funds available for your proposal!

  • proflikesubstance says:

    Thanks, me too!

  • Joshua King says:

    I got a low priority, non-fund from DEB Ecosystems panel this week. I cried just a little.

  • proflikesubstance says:

    Sorry, dude. Never fun getting that email.

  • Joshua King says:

    It's OK, I've still got 2+ years on my other NSF and some other money, too. So I've still got some time to keep trying, for which I feel lucky. This was my first go-round with the Ecosystems panel. Interesting experience and very different from Pop. and Community in some ways and similar in others. Anyhow, when all is said and done, I think my opinion after going through the full process (preproposal, proposal, rejection) is that a return to 2 submissions with shorter proposals, would perhaps be the best outcome if NSF decides to change back.

  • biologist says:

    Dec 3, still no word from IOS for my proposal... paaatience.......

  • a says:

    Still no word from Pop and Comm. Ecology...either

  • another biologist says:

    A colleague was declined by IOS. Nothing on mine yet. Do they notify in a particular order (top to bottom, bottom to top)?

  • proflikesubstance says:

    I have no idea what order they notify in, but I'm guessing they start with the bottom end of the spectrum that are unlikely to be funded no matter what the PO's budget turns out to be. Anyone "on hold" could technically be funded, but not everyone will be.

Leave a Reply