2012 jobs

Nov 17 2011 Published by under [Education&Careers]

Based on the extremely uniformed and biased sampling of the job emails I get sent to my inbox, I am getting the impression that this year's job market is a little better than last. I've even seen a few jobs out of the UC system, and few state university systems are in as bad shape as the UC system. I realize that the market is not what it was a few years ago, but there feels like a small surge this year.

Am I imagining things? What are those of you on the market seeing?

• I agree, here at Oppressive Institution(TM) we are hiring some new faculty to mostly replace those that were retiring or lost. Just bring the stable of talent back up to full, not really any expansion though.

• Definitely more this year than in the last couple of years combined. In my field anyway.

• Bashir says:

In my area it is definitely up. Much better than the low points, 2008 and 2009. I don't know if it's back up to "normal" though.

• odyssey says:

It looks like it's up slightly in my area too. One has to wonder how this will play out given the current funding climate...

I wonder whether the overall trajectory is in the negative, even if this year has more advertised jobs than the last two? Certainly a large number of people have left jobs in one way or another in the last few years and the rate of replacement has lagged.

• Dr. Zeek says:

There seemed to be a lot of openings in my field. I ended up sending TT- applications to 27 schools this year (and that was being a *tad* picky in locations- i.e. there are just certain places where the SO would not be happy).

That being said, I heard from one of the chairs heading the search committee at a school I applied to that they received 200-250 applications, which was average for them.

• Pharm Sci Grad says:

Here at U we are hiring... tenured faculty. Makes me grok, the money we'll spend on people who have money. Makes me wonder, where are the jobs for the people who've been stuck in post-doc-dom, waiting for the hiring freezes to end. =/

• There seem to be more TT jobs this year and fewer post docs in my field than when I last applied in 09. But that could be because I wasn't paying much attention to the TT count last time. Definitely fewer posdocs.

• Dr. O says:

Definitely a lot more this year than last in my field, although many of the positions are open-rank. No clue how many of those will be hiring junior profs.

• We are specifically hiring predominantly junior profs.

• Juniper Shoemaker says:

I heard the same from a postdoc at Society for Neuroscience this week.

• ecogeofemme says:

More in my area, too.

• A positive bonanza in my and my spouse's field! He's even gotten interviews!!

About UC: a few years ago, a postdoc in my big-name-PI-big-name-U lab got a written offer from one of the larger UCs, which was subsequently rescinded by the provost after acceptance. Talk about screwed up.