A call for tunes

Sep 26 2011 Published by under [Et Al]

Like others in the bloggosphere, I am in the final writing push for the NIH deadline around the corner. Also like the commenters on DM's post, I am the type to spend longer on the writing phase, but because of that, spend less time on editing.

Alas, this writing phase can be a painful one that requires some musical accompaniment, but beyond some recent music I have posted, I haven't run across anything new recently that I can use to freshen my playlist. That's where you come in, dear readers. What are you listening to these days?

• Dr Becca says:

Do you have Spotify? I made a playlist for GertyZ, link here. Not all of it may be up your alley, but some of it, perhaps!

• @DrRubidium says:

Also on Spotify is my Grant Writing Soundtrack put together through blog & twitter suggestions.

• Fred says:

Who is the band in the first "recent music" link?

I like to listen to these bands right now (entire albums, all the way through -- how they are meant to be heard!).

All-Time Quarterback!
    Doves
    Interpol
    Iron & Wine
    Kill Henry Sugar (=mellowish)
    Mull Historical Society
    Nada Surf (favorite right now)

• Girl Talk homie, "All Day" will get you through the doldrums of your day.

• Fred says:

Oops ... missed the band/song name at the start of the video. Duh ... (need coffee) ...

• Dr. Dad, PhD says:

Although we generally share the same interests in new music, I tend to go old school when it comes time to grant write. My favorites tend to be fairly uplifting and energetic (because I tend to be neither while writing).

The specific play list bounces around a lot (like my musical tastes), but what seems to be working for me right now is Reggae, Funk (as in P-funk), and an Otis Redding Pandora mix. I've found that aggressive music generally sucks for writing, but electronica works to shake things up when I feel I need energy.

• rs says:

I don't know if it's a real song or they just made up at the preschool, but my 4 year old all day sings (and it's in my head all the time even while writing grant proposal);

I am busy busy busy,
    playing in the mud;
    I do have the time,
    for going to the bath.

Have fun!

• I mostly listen to podcasts. Try KEXP Music That Matters (& their song of the day podcast), The Sounds in My Head, Pollyanna Cowgirl Records, and Secret Archives of the Vatican.

• Gilly says:

If you like Wintersleep, then you may also like some of the following:
    Born Ruffians, Dan Mangan, Said the Whale, City and Color, Basia Bulat, Obijou, The Dudes, Chad van Gaalen, Plants and Animals, Cuff the Duke, Islands, Joel Plaskett, Great Lake Swimmers, Elliott Brood, or Hey Rosetta

• Natalie says:

Sneaker Pimps - Bloodsport ('Cause my headphones live in a timezone 10-15 years behind).

Too bad Spotify is US-exclusive, I would have liked to hear the playlists mentioned upthread.

• modscientist says:

Just spent the day writing and it was fueled by The xx, Fences, Discovery & Blind Pilot.

• Melissa's Bench says:

WILD FLAG

Highly recommended. Lots of energy, crunchy guitars, but with plenty of melody and catchy hooks.

I'm liking The xx, but couldn't get into wild flag.

• City and Color has already been suggested, but also Memphis and Wolf Parade.