So you want to be a grad student...

Maybe I'm a little cranky tonight after a lot of advising this week.

Blame Odyssey for starting this, with his Syphilis mochas.

• Jen says:

This reminds me of a recent conversation I had with a student is applying to post-bacc research programs. I asked the student what s/he was interested in studying, and s/he said "cancer." I mentioned that cancer is such a broad field - is there a specific area of cancer research? The student then replied: "I'm really interested in diabetes." After mentally slapping my forehead, we actually had a somewhat productive conversation about how to go about identifying possible research labs, but your video really hit home.

• Gerty-Z says:

The nipple-shirt avatar is one of my favorite blog memes yet! I hope you refrain from tearing apart your dissertation to die by 1000 papercuts.

fantastic!

• Dr Becca says:

Hahahahaha! This is spot on. 22 year-old me was like, "I want to go to grad school so I can talk about brains and then I'm going to cure schizophrenia, w00t!!"

• becca says:

@Jen, clearly, your student wants to study chronic inflammation, which plays a critical role in cancer and diabetes

• Odyssey says:

I have issues, but cutting the nipples out of my shirts is not one of them...

• chall says:

haha 🙂 lovely! "I want to go to grad school and soak in the knowledge" .... yeah... it just _comes_ to you... in a coffee shop with a lap top...

😀

sorry, need to go back into my greatly paid job by the bench 😉

• chall says:

..but not before I drink coffee and erase some of those smilies. A bit tiered. sorry

• Sally says:

A vagueness in interests is fine. Everyone goes through that stage to some degree. What's worse is the students who don't really care what they do as long as they are at a "top program"

• Girlpostdoc says:

LOL! Maybe I'll have to stand for clubbing myself with it instead. HaHa!!!

That would be more use than my thesis has ever gotten.

• flutesUD says:

@Jen, There are actually a number of interesting areas of research that can overlap both cancer and diabetes. As cancer is appreciated to be both a metabolic disease, and influenced by diet and other lifestyle factors, opportunities in this area may increase. The epi data demonstrating some correlation between diabetes and cancer may also need to be followed up mechanistically to understand whether it is simply a correlation with elevated calories (and overweight) or something else underlying this connection.

• theshortearedowl says:

I love sitting in coffee shops reading on my laptop. I can't say I've had time to do it since starting grad school tho...