From the department of WTF did I agree to?

Aug 26 2010 Published by under Etc

There is a stack of paper on my desk 4 5/6" tall, representing over two packages of printer paper (>1000 sheets). It is a beast. It is the grants I am either primary or secondary reviewer on for an NSF panel this fall.

Dude. Fuck! Sigh.

• Geez PLS, you make me want to participate in these panels 🙁

And this is, for sure, on top of everything else!!!

• I just applied to be a grant reviewer for IMLS. I am going to regret that, aren't I?

• lylebot says:

! That's like 30 grants, isn't it? Last time I was on an NSF panel I had fewer than 10 I had to read (though many more were discussed).

• I feel for you. I was on a grant panel last summer and it was much the same. Well worth it, but damn, it was exhausting to get through all of them.

• ianqui says:

The trick is to not print them out. Then they don't stare you in the face.

• Odyssey says:

Oh yeah. Forgot to mention that aspect of the review panel. Sorry about that...

• DrugMonkey says:

Congratulations on being selected for this honor. It is a recognition of your work to date.

• Odyssey says:

I could almost hear DM's snickering as he typed that...

It really is recognition of your standing and congrats are due. Even if you're currently feeling like it's some kind of punishment. 🙂 Remember that the actual proposal part is only 15 pages and a lot of the other pages can either be skimmed quickly to learn what you need to know, or ignored altogether.

Yeah, I know this will be good. It is just an intimidating stack of paper. One of the grants actually has >200 pages of bullshit supp docs. Of course, I am primary on that one.

The total number of grants is reasonable and I know it'll be good experience. Like everyone, however, I need the extra reading like I need a kick in the teeth.

• Odyssey says:

PlS:
    Check that those supp docs are kosher. >200 pages seems very unusual. The NSF is pretty strict about what can be included. You should ignore anything that's not supposed to be there.

• Remember that the actual proposal part is only 15 pages and a lot of the other pages can either be skimmed quickly to learn what you need to know, or ignored altogether.

Remember that the actual proposal part is only 15 pages and a lot of those 15 pages can either be skimmed quickly to learn what you need to know, or ignored altogether. FTFY.

• Odyssey says:

Awwww, CPP. Can't we let him learn something the hard way?

• Patchi says:

You printed all that? You need a Kindle DX.

I want the hard copies to make notes on and bring with me. Granted, I probably didn't need to print out the sup docs, but I didn't realize how long some of them were since I can't imagine adding all that crap to the end of a proposal.

• gnuma says:

Dude. You can put notes in Reader. I hope you at least printed double sided. DFS!

• antipodean says:

This is what I try to remember when I write the bloody things. Some poor bastard with a foot high stack of paper at 3am the night before the comittee meeting trying to understand what the fuck I'm on about and why it's better than all the other shite.