Need.... tunes.....

Jan 12 2010 Published by under Uncategorized

These grants are almost tucked in and put to bed, but I'm running low on writing / editing music after being glued to my desk for this long. I need suggestions people. The only rules are that the music has to have some edge to it (I can't write to singer/song writer or acoustic), it can't be top 40 crap and no country... unless it involves Neko Case. Current examples on my playlist are Rise Against, Hot Springs, Mother Mother, NOFX (for nostalgia), Propagandhi, Wintersleep and Against me! with a dash of K'naan and Metric.

Any suggestions are welcome for the final push.

• Anonymous says:

Ted Leo & the Pharmacists

• Dr. Zeek says:

Ahhhh, NOFX wow, haven't heard that in awhile.Personally, I like for writingBuckCherryHinderTheory of a DeadmanEve 6Metallica- esp. And Justice for All- not the new garbage(this is usually reserved for the editing stage when I am slashing away)And various Motely Crue, Guns 'n Roses, etc songs

• Eugenie says:

People either love or hate Say Anything

• Prof-like Substance says:

Ted Leo is working for me. Dr Zeek, I'll have to look into Hinder and Eve 6, as I can't think of their music right away. I don't listen to the radio much these days. Eugenie, Say Anything crosses a little to much into the Pop realm for me. If I'm going that route, I like a little more soul, like Cage the Elephant or Hockey.

• Anonymous says:

Are you using Pandora.com?One of my favorite "stations" is Dire Straits. Great for keeping my brain going and the ass-wiggling to a minimum.jc

• J. Nash says:

Metal Assult Radio is in the Rock section of the radio stations wihtin iTunes. Thrash your grants out 24/7. :-)Also try DI Radio Goa & Psy Trance station. Get your inner-Burning Man on. Sure,you have to have a taste for it (which I do, and come to from heavy rock), but I can write to this stuff all day long.

• Anonymous says:

Hum and Material (or any Bill Laswell project) are my faves.TreeFish

• Dr. Zeek says:

Hinder is a lot like Theory of a Deadman, only a little (lot more) rockishForgot my number one-all-time favorite to write to-Social Distortion

• Genomic Repairman says:

Less than Jake, Rancid, Ramones, Dead Boys, Breaking Benjamin, Audioslave, Temple of the Dog (shit anything with Chris Cornell), George Thorogood & The Destroyers, Morcheeba.

• Le Physiologiste says:

Depending on how you feel, you'll find everything you want on http://www.accuradio.com !

• Nat Blair says:

Let me throw in something that I just can't stop listening to these days: "Thin Lizzy" Yeah, I know, 'Boys Are Back In Town' seemed cheesy to me as well, but I was always intrigued hearing James Hetfield and Steve Harris both mention how influential they were. Heading back through their catalog, now I understand. The 'Jailbreak' album is excellent all the way through, or check out the "Live and Dangerous" album. In fact I'm listening to it right now.

• PhDamned says:

What about Chevelle? I don't know how much edge you're looking for. What else...Three Days GraceTantric (specifically the song Down and Out)MuseManchester OrchestraApocalypticaShinedownBreaking BenjaminIncubusRev TheoryI usually write to Disturbed and System of a Down, but I think that's kind of a quirk.

• tideliar says:

Tool, Tool, Tool, Tool and um. Tool. Aenema and Lateralis at "this goes to 11" are my main squeeze for editing.For writing, I need silence :/

• PhDamned says:

How could I forget about Tool?? Also, The Used.

• Nat Blair says:

Oh, I totally love Tool as well, but I can't write to it; all those crazy, changing time signatures, with seemingly 8 armed Danny Carey make it impossible for me to concentrate.

• Arlenna says:

Muse and the most recent Cardigans album Super Extra Gravity. The Darkness for some rock out, too.

• Prof-like Substance says:

Well, that's a lot to work with. Ironically, I'll probably have to wait until I'm done writing to have the time to check out half of it. I appreciate the suggestions though. I set up a playlist at lala.com to work through.

• Professor in Training says: