Incremental Successes

May 20 2009 Published by under Uncategorized

As grainy and out of focus as this picture is, it's still the best thing I've seen in months. It's a beautiful thing when lab stuff actually works like it is supposed to. One more giant hurdle out of the way!

• tideliar says:

Um. Congrats on your new glow in-the-dark dildo...?

• Prof-like Substance says:

Taking the adult toy industry by storm! Wait, someone thought of that already? Damn.

• Odyssey says:

I was thinking some kind of fluorescent condom test...

• Professor in Training says:

Kryptonite?

• Prof-like Substance says:

I guess everyone thinks my research topic is far more interesting than it really is. And really PiT, everyone knows that kryptonite is green.

• Hermitage says:

Cha, it's obviously a power-supply source for the Cyborgs of the Future. Or Iron-Man. Whichever boats your float.

• Professor in Training says:

everyone knows that kryptonite is green.Yes, I'm aware of that [<--typed with a definite sarcastic tone]. Since you published a big-ass picture of a glowing thingy (my scientific knowledge is overflowing today), I had assumed you discovered something new and novel ... like blue/white kryptonite. Or is it just fluorescent algae or something equally dull? Kryptonite would be so much cooler.

• Arlenna says:

ooh it's so pretty! I love stuff that glows. I'm a color- and glow-junky. I still want someone in my lab to work on my pet project to make an engineered synthetic luciferase someday...

• Ambivalent Academic says:

Arlenna - I'll do the synthetic luciferase for you. On the condition that you find a way to make it work in humans. I want to make my butt glow on command.

• Toaster Sunshine says:

Well, Ambivalent Academic, that is one way to attract potential mates. Seems to work well for fireflies, but jeans might hamper its effectiveness a bit.My guess is you've sealed some fluorescent gasses in a tube and gotten them to react from static induction charges.

• Professor Anonymous says:

Uh, has anyone seen Skin Deep (late 80s, Blake Edwards, John Ritter)? (Ok, so I'm aging myself.) Get a red "tube", and it's on!

• Prof-like Substance says:

PiT - There are no organisms in the tube, so it's more exciting than just something growing and glowing. The really interesting part is a bit washed out in this picture.AA - I have this horrible mental image of someone's butt glowing whenever they are happy, which would just freak everyone out. Or maybe it could be a healing thing, like E.T.?PA - Sorry, but I'm mildly allergic to John Ritter. The hives aren't so bad, but the nausea sucks.

• Mad Hatter says:

Ooh...pretty! And BTW, I think I would be much more amenable to being healed by a glowing finger than by someone's glowing butt.